Saturday, 13 December 2008

Day 100

I admit that it has been a long time since I last updated this...a very long time in fact. I just couldn't be bothered to post on here. Whether it was laziness or lack of spare time, who knows. However, after receiving a letter from Sean (the cunt), I've been given a much needed kick up the arse so I'm going to attempt to update this quite frequently.


So..here it goes.

The last 48 days since my last blog have been rather eventful. There have been many ups and downs. High points, low points. I ended it with Carrie about a month ago due to the fact that I didn't feel that I could handle a relationship at Uni as Uni is renowned for being about shagging anything that moves/has a hole in it and having a bloody good time - not getting tied down with somebody. A couple of weeks later tho, I ended up getting together with Niamh (Neeve to you and I). She is nowhere near as clingy which is appreciated and I feel like she’s more than a mate at times, so in that respect maybe it is possible to have a relationship at Uni? Only time will tell.

Uni or Music College is still really enjoyable. The main focus is still upon practicing/performing, etc which suits me down to a tee. I really think that I wouldn’t have been able to handle a straight forward conventional music degree as I quite simply lack interest in many of the logistics and theoretical matter which quite frankly, you don’t need to know. So long as I have an advanced understanding (which is taught in language of music) which covers what you need to know and not the bollocks that is irrelevant then I’ll be fine.

I still haven’t performed any solos in public yet, but I’ve done a fair bit of ensemble work. There’s been much depping (filling in for people when they can’t make a rehearsal) mainly in the orchestral context which is great experience when you’re thrown in at the deep end and just have to get on with it. I’ve done a couple of shows as well, both coincidently were Little Shop of Horrors – both paid rather well so I can’t complain. There have been two Sinfonia concerts at College. The first was a Saint-Saens work which I was playing the Eb clarinet in. This has got to be the worst instrument ever. It’s about half the size of a conventional clarinet, makes you look like a prize faggot and sounds horrible. This was rather embarrassing. The next concert will be taking place in February, and I’ve been put on 1st clarinet. I’m pretty shocked by this, considering that I got a reserve place at Trinity and the other clarinettist in my year got in first time AND got a £1000 scholarship to come here, thus meaning that she should be better than me...I genuinely feel that I’m better than her though :S.

Speaking of clarinets, I finally got a new pair at the end of October. They came to the grand total of £6000....ouch. I could have got a decent car for that, or gone on the holiday of a lifetime. Ah well. I’m so happy with them though and they will last me for at least the next 15 years – a worthwhile investment.

I’m still keeping up my job at M&S. The whole concept of being the only white feller there though (apart from the store manager) is quite depressing at times and one of the managers is just a complete and utter two faced bitch. Luckily she only manages me on Thursday mornings, but she frequently pushes me over the edge at 7 in the morning due to my lack of sleep. Hopefully I’ll get out of that shift in the New Year. They do pay really well though so I shouldn’t complain.

Anyway..this is getting incredibly long now and I’m beginning to go on a bit so I’ll leave it at that. I think this should bring things up to date! Bacon sarnie time...

No comments: